Parents

A dedicated spot to discuss serious issues.
-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Sun May 07, 2006 11:09 pm

<span style='color:pink'>Anyone experienced their parents trying to influence what you do at college/uni?!

I have!! "Do medicine and I'll buy u a porche when you qualify!" (My dad actually SAID that to me!!)

Typical Asian expectations! Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Accountancy, Pharmacy..... or business (to help with the family business) :P

It's annoying in a way.. because I strongly believe you should choose what you love and enjoy, rather than what you're expected to do!

But I guess rents just want the best for their kids right? Especially being from an ethnic minority, you're always going to be in competition! </span>
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Sun May 07, 2006 11:24 pm

<span style='color:pink'>Student: "Mom, Dad!! I got 99% on my final exam!!"

Parent: "What happened to the other 1%?"

Haha, totally feelin it Imz! (ha) </span>

Chandni
Advanced Member

Post by Chandni » Sun May 07, 2006 11:33 pm

my dads.. in the contruction industry.. and he influenced my decision.. but thats because i used to follow him when i was kid around construction sites and stuff..

i used to love it when they all used have hard hats and then hugh rolls of plans in thier hands.. i always saw myself do that..

proper have these discusions about where they should start digging and all the materials they needed..

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Sun May 07, 2006 11:36 pm

<span style='color:pink'>I was like that at a stage too!! My dad is a Law graduate as well as being in finance.. I think I picked up a bit from him that made me want to do Law.

But at the same time, my mom's work also influenced me, and I found science extremely interesting at a point! So, being easily-influenced me, I felt like I had to do something with medicine! I liked and still like helping people in that sense!

And of course once you say the word "Medicine", it gets your parent's attention and they over-encourage in some cases.. :ph34r: </span>

Chandni
Advanced Member

Post by Chandni » Sun May 07, 2006 11:39 pm

lol i bet.. once they hear it.. its like its been writen in stone.. and it will come up over and over again..

and u'll alway tbe like i said i MIGHT do it.. Might.. not for definate..

like when u meet up with uncles and aunts.. its like my little gyals going into medicine.. then a few years later ur into something completely different.; but no one ever forget that once upon a time u were gonna do medicine.. lol

Chandni
Advanced Member

Post by Chandni » Sun May 07, 2006 11:52 pm

i was forced to do my a-levels.. but then again if i hasnt done mya-levels i dono what i would have done..

Chandni
Advanced Member

Post by Chandni » Sun May 07, 2006 11:56 pm

seriously.. takes so much to stand up to parents and say no i aint doing a-levels or what ever..

thats why all these people mess up.. i bet ur bro's doing much better working now rather then studyin..

they gonna be earnin a decent wage by the time they 25 or whatever

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Mon May 08, 2006 12:02 am

<span style='color:pink'>That's so true!! It's HARD standing up to your parents regarding education!

I even tried it once.. to point out to mom that she had pressured myself and my brother in to careers we didn't really want to do deep down, and we didn't even end up doing them.

She got defensive instantaneously and made out that she had only made a suggestion. But I think she knows now - we could see her intentions behind her "suggestions"!!

BTW, when it comes down to the crunch though, if parents can see how much happier you are doing what you want to do, I think they would support you anyway. It's just taking that step and working on your own intiative to take the path you want in the first place!</span>

Chandni
Advanced Member

Post by Chandni » Mon May 08, 2006 12:09 am

at the end of the day.. its about doing what you want.. and making sure your happy with ur decision.. because you have to live with it..

reminds me.... i wonder if its the same with picking who wanna spent the rest of your life with...

because now theres another point that takes far too much courage to argue against ur parents with..

the worst thing ever is living with knowing that you gave up to make ur parents happy and u'd live with the whole what if.. forever..

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Mon May 08, 2006 12:17 am

<span style='color:pink'>Yup, and that's the next thing on their mind once you graduate! :huh: </span>

Senorita
Advanced Member

Post by Senorita » Mon May 08, 2006 6:59 pm

lol

my choices arent actually my choices.

every single step throughout school and stuff is decided by my parents... just because im the oldest... im expected to be the successful one that is a total copy of what my parents do.

like you said miss p, lol typical jobs expected are like, doctors, lawyers, teachers etc.

My dads a scientist and expects me to turn out like him :blink: 1 problem... i hate science !! .. i had always wanted to be a lawyer but then that was banned because my mum didnt agree.. then theres my mum..teacher and translator and she wants me to focus on the languages i know :( so its pressure from each parent !!!

:blink:

and nothing ever seems to be good enough... say i come home with great results i was happy with... there would always be, well you still could have got full marks bla bla bla !!

parents are NEVER happy :angry:
<b>You Must Carry A Chaos Inside You To Give Birth To A Dancing Star - Nietzsche</b>

skea
Advanced Member

Post by skea » Mon May 08, 2006 7:46 pm

lol im cool my mum never tells me to become a doctar or lawyer or nethin :)
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'> <span style='color:purple'><strong>PURE <br>GUN<br>unlimited<strong></span> </span></span></span>

Sunnah

Post by Sunnah » Mon May 08, 2006 8:01 pm

ma mums ayt but ma dad wnats me 2 b a docta im like nah dad i wanna b a TEACHA :D lol he ayt wit it he jus wans me 2 do well and mek him do well whcih inshaallah i will :D
<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>XxXŝůи-вůм?XxX</span></span>

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Mon May 08, 2006 8:19 pm

my dads a fully qualified accountant with his own business, it doesnt matter to him what i become as long as its a job with "high education" and im only in yr 10. he was thinking of making my sister a doctor but the balloon was burst there and then. i might just become an accountant, even though i was thinking of becoming a pro footballer :)

if i had a choice i'd go to uni and get a good job

marzbarz
Settled In

Post by marzbarz » Mon May 08, 2006 8:43 pm

lol ma dad was tellin me 2 go into law but me luv kids heh so me gna b a teahcer yay my mum n dad ok wid it n dat jus sayin study hard go 4 da job u lyk b successful innit 8) dats it realli all about study den u dnt need 2 worri about money n re re re re GD STUDY GD JOB N LOTS OF MONEYYYYY :P
<span style='color:yellow'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>???*(?`?(Mî??M ?k? M??Z? )???)*??? </span></span>