Murder or Suicide?

Discuss anything in general here, talk to other members, make yourself at home!
shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:09 am

VERY INTERESTING CASE. . . .

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS President Dr Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death.

Here is the Case:

On March 23, 1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten-story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to the effect indicating his despondency . As he fell past the ninth floor his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window, which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the deceasedwas aware that a safety net had been installed just below the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned. "Ordinarily," Dr Mills continued, "A person, who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be that he intended, is still defined as committing suicide." That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to
feel that he had a homicide on his hands.

In the room on the ninth floor, where the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger he
completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the window striking Mr. Opus. When one intends to kill subject "A" but kills subject "B" in the attempt, oneis guilty of the murder of subject "B". When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant and both said that they thought the shotgun was unloaded. The old man said it was a long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, if the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident . It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. Since the loader of the gun was aware of this, he was guilty of the murder even though he didn't actually pull the trigger. The case now becomes murder attempt on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus. Now comes the exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son was in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten-story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window. The son had actually Murdered himself, with the "SHOTGUN" so the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Done all reply at once :blink:

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:09 pm

<span style='color:pink'>If it were up to me, I wouldn't call it murder or suicide.

I'd call it KISMAT!!!!

Somehow I don't believe that they thought the shot gun was unloaded.. if it was, why were they fighting with it? Why would somebody fight with an unloaded shot gun if it's no use?

So for the old man or lady to have the shotgun in the first place and then use it to threaten somebody else with (even tho the trigger accidently went off at their son), I think that's guilty enough to atleast have the intention to murder their partner.

So I'm gona call it murder!

Who knows, maybe the son knew the net was underneath.. and he was jumping to get attention or something? Hmm.

Sounds like a Bollywood thriller story plan :P (You know, when the story gets revealed in a way you'd never think of right at the end!) </span>
Remember where you heard it first - AsianMix.net

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:11 pm

<span style='color:pink'>BTW Shakil, I think most people didn't reply cos at first it seems like a really long story as tho it's a riddle or something..... and some people hate riddles :unsure: If it was in bullet points, people might bother to read it perhaps.. </span>

FaTaL
Settled In

Post by FaTaL » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:30 pm

lol realy interestin case eh this m8 end up bein a movie lol n i call it a murder

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:35 pm

-MissS- wrote: <span style='color:pink'>Somehow I don't believe that they thought the shot gun was unloaded.. if it was, why were they fighting with it? Why would somebody fight with an unloaded shot gun if it's no use?</span>
Because...
When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant and both said that they thought the shotgun was unloaded. The old man said it was a long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, if the gun had been accidentally loaded.

shakil
Diamond Member

Post by shakil » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:37 pm

-MissS- wrote: <span style='color:pink'>BTW Shakil, I think most people didn't reply cos at first it seems like a really long story as tho it's a riddle or something..... and some people hate riddles :unsure: If it was in bullet points, people might bother to read it perhaps.. </span>
You can do the honours :unsure:

-MissS-
Administrator

Post by -MissS- » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:11 pm

shakil_786 wrote: Because...
When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant and both said that they thought the shotgun was unloaded. The old man said it was a long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, if the gun had been accidentally loaded.
<span style='color:pink'>What idiot makes it a long-standing habit to threaten their partner with an unloaded shotgun though?

I still think it's murder full stop. That sounds like a statement from the couple to avoid a murder charge, as per their solicitor's legal advice! It's not like you can materialistically produce evidence in court that it was a habit of theirs. All you have is their word! (Unless of course they had witnesses who knew it was a habit they always had... which BTW I still think is a stupid, weird habit, that deserves being analysed by a psychologist if it were true). </span>

mimie
Settled In

Post by mimie » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:46 pm

well its unintential murder init.. cuz like the dude wnted to commit suicide but then sum random bullet hit him.. and the bullet was fired by subject B thus killin subject A ... and if subject A wasn't shot.. he wuda landed on the net and survived with a few bruises or sum trauma..
the fact that a firearm was shot.. makes it a killin since it struck the subject..

get that? :D

FaTaL
Settled In

Post by FaTaL » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:06 pm

yeh yeh i go with miss s who will treanen sm 1 with a shotgun with no bullets n the guy whos gettin treans know aswell so u know wah i mean